Our Top 5 Benefits of a Farm Share
A Farm Share is a strange ask. We, the farmers, are asking you, our members, to pay us and trust us that we will deliver produce to you before you’ve even received one carrot or pepper. So why do we run a Farm Share? Surely there are different ways for vegetable farmers to market their produce, right? Yes, but we believe a Farm Share has unique benefits that outweigh other marketing techniques. Some of the top benefits (in no particular order) we see are:
1. Food security. For the duration of the Farm Share, you’re guaranteed fresh produce. You can have security in the knowledge that you’ll have vegetables but also, you can be secure in knowing that the food is safe for you and your family to eat. We produce our food using Certified Organic techniques and take great care when we’re harvesting and handling it to make sure your vegetables are clean.
2. Diversity. A Farm Share encourages you to “eat the rainbow”. Because we send a variety of vegetables, our members will be able to gain more nutrients and vitamins from their food than if their diets only contained one or two vegetables. This diversity also encourages you to try and find new vegetable favorites.
3. Convenience. Buying a Farm Share means you can go to the grocery store less. When we deliver the perishables in your diet, you can spend less time navigating the aisles at your local grocery store and more time at home actually enjoying your food.
4. Connection to a local farm. Food provides us with all of our energy and nutrition, so shouldn’t it be important to know how and where it’s grown? As a Farm Share member, you’ll learn about the ins-and-outs of our farm. You’re free to ask any questions about how we grow your food and you can even visit the farm to see where your food starts.
5. Support for a local economy. We love growing food and sharing it with people so much that we’ve decided to make our careers out of farming. In order to keep doing what we love, we need to make the business side work. In the winter, there isn’t as much growing so a Farm Share helps out when money is tight. When our Farm Share members pay before the season starts, they’re helping us with input costs like seeds and compost. When we make farming work, we give back to our local community and the region becomes stronger.
A Farm Share has so many positives for you and for us! If you’d like to take the jump into this strange but beneficial farmer-member relationship, sign up here. Can you think of any other benefits that aren’t mentioned here? Comment below! We’d love to hear your thoughts!